Thursday, January 17, 2008

Asbestos exposure led to death of ex-decorator

By Hayley Magurie

A RETIRED decorator from Ellesmere Port died as a result of asbestos exposure, an inquest heard.

John Fordham, of Kinnerly Road, Whitby, died at the Countess of Chester Hospital on April 20 after suffering with an industrial disease.

Cheshire coroner Nicholas Rheinberg recorded that Mr Fordham, 84, died from mesothelioma caused by asbestos exposure, with heart disease as a contributing factor.

Linda Anne Fordham, a retired clerical receptionist, told the Chester hearing her husband worked as a decorator with his cousin, John Davies. He worked in boiler rooms sanding down pipes lagged with asbestos."

In those days they didn't know an awful lot about asbestos," she said.

Mr Rheinberg read out a statement by Brian Cookson, of Cypress Avenue, Ellesmere Port, who worked with Mr Fordham. He said: "We came into contact with asbestos on a regular basis. Most of the buildings had boiler rooms lagged with asbestos."

Dr Jacqueline Elder, a pathologist at the Countess of Chester Hospital, carried out a post-mortem examination and recorded the cause of death as mesothelioma.

She said plural plaques were evident in the lungs and he had suffered with ischaemic heart disease.



Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home